Introduction

Hi, my name is Phil North. I am currently a student at UCLan in Preston studying Creative Writing and Journalism and have been given the opportunity to study my second year at Central Connecticut State University. Here is where you will be able to find out about my experiences, opinions and just how well I'm adjusting to the US way of life.

Sunday 2 September 2012

Labour Day (With a 'U')

I'm currently writing this from Cape Cod at a friends families house right on the beach. The lad who lives in the room next door to me (Connor) kindly invited me and another exchange student from Sweden (Erik) to visit his family in this wonderful part of the world.

Flying The Blue & White Flag
Today we set off for the beach, and because Connor's dad has a pass, we were able to drive to a more secluded area and drive on the sand to set up base. Although quiet, the sand here is very pebbly but it seems that people in this area don't wear shoes. Due to this, the pebbles don't seem to bother them. Meanwhile Erik and I are hobbling across the beach cursing under our breath. There is an awful lot of wildlife in the sea here as well, with seals and whales visible from the beach itself. Unfortunately though, there have been reports of sharks in the area recently due to the high population of seals. Upon arriving we noticed a seal washed up on the shore, this one killed by a boat propellor though rather than Jaws.

Despite it being very sunny and warm, the vegetation in and around the area is very green. Now I've only really travelled in Europe where the warm countries are very brown and dusty. It makes a very nice change to drive through a sandy track with greenery either side. It is funny however, just how many houses have signs and banners in their front gardens suporting particular politicians. There was even an airplane that flew over the beach with a banner telling us to vote for someone or other. At first I thought it might be another 'Kean Out' sign, but I don't think that has reached this side of the Atlantic yet.
Cape Cod Beach

Tomorrow we are going to Province Town, traditionally a small Portuguese fishing town but apparently now is the East's version of San Francisco.

Back at University, I started lessons on Wednesday and have had to spent $170 on books that will only last me until Christmas. It's not like home where you can just take them out of the uni library when you need them, you have to take them to class each week. Luckily all my lessons are in the same building on the same floor, and is the closest building to my dorm. I can wake up with 10 minutes to spare and still get there on time. The meal plan is very good so fears of returning to England heavier may become a reality. There is a gym very close that I can use so I may have to start going.

Erik, Connor, & I
Erik and I went to the bar on Thursday night, student night, and were offered numerous drinks from randomers and invites to parties just because we were foreign. This worked out very well until we had to drive 3 hours to Cape Cod the morning afterwards. We even met an Australian who has lived here for a few years who is going to try and get us tickets to an American Football and Baseball game. Fingers crossed. It's noticeable how friendly people are here. I've been here a week and have had invites to various peoples hometowns to look around and stay. I can honestly say that I have no bad word to say about the American people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

As this is viewable by anyone remotely interested, I politely ask that you keep your language PG13 and abuse at a minimum. Cheers