Introduction

Hi, my name is Phil North. I am currently a student at UCLan in Preston studying Creative Writing and Journalism and have been given the opportunity to study my second year at Central Connecticut State University. Here is where you will be able to find out about my experiences, opinions and just how well I'm adjusting to the US way of life.

Sunday 10 February 2013

Blizzard


Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow
I'm not sure what I've done to anger God, or whatever spiritual being that may be watching over us, but since I've been in America I have survived an Earthquake, Hurricane, and now a Blizzard. He needs to try a little harder if he wants to send me down the River Styx early. 

Early Evening, The Calm Before The Storm
We were warned in advance that a snow storm was coming, but after the whole commotion over the hurricane in October, and history of the media over exaggerating things to scare the public we didn't really listen to the warnings and ignored what was heading our way. During Friday it was just like any other snow, a light covering that looked pretty and provided ample ammunition for snowballs. As evening dawned, the winds picked up and the snow became heavier. From indoors it looked more like rain, but with the snow falling mixed with the snow being blown around I can confirm that it certainly was not rain. The canteen was closed early and we were advised to stay in our rooms with the windows closed for the evening. I didn't really listen to the advice and went to a friends hall to play board games before returning to my dorm later in the evening, my mistake.

Doogie Streaks Through The Blizzard
It was only when I looked on Facebook to find a video of a classmate who lives down the corridor from me streaking across Vance Lawn that I realised how bad the snow had become. An hour later someone attempting to cook had set off the fire alarm and everyone had to stand outside during the peak of the snow. 'So much for spending that extra £500 a semester for the posh residence hall', I thought as I ran through the knee deep snow, fighting for balance back to the homeless shelter which the residents politely call Carroll Hall.

One Of The Few Benches Visible
The Long Walk Back To Carroll


With the snow not looking to calm I went to sleep looking forward to a day making a snowman army across campus. How disappointed I was when I woke bright and early. The plan was to get breakfast and then begin. The canteen was closed until 1pm due to the snow, so no breakfast for me and a bad start to the day. As I wrapped up to head out into the cold wind to begin my army, I quickly realised that the snow was not the good stuff; it was more like powder. As the ice cold wind blew snow into my face I persevered in my snowman building only to see it crumble away, refusing to stick together. All this snow and I'm unable to build a snowman. I later learnt that it's the perfect snow for skiing, but that isn't going to do me any good in my snowman building is it? Defeated and disheartened I climbed my way through the snow back to my dorm to sulk as I waited for the canteen to open.

Walking to the canteen probably took three times longer than usual as the paths had still to be cleared. Steps were undetectable, benches had disappeared overnight, and people were getting stuck as they waded through waist high snow in a search for food. It was fun to see people jumping off high walls into the snow. Videos on the internet have seen people jumping off multistory car parks into the piles of snow below, not for me thanks. Two lads walked into the canteen with rubber rings that you are more likely to see at a water park. I'm guessing they came from up the hill and wanted to get here quicker.
Mohammed Looks To Back Flip
But Chickened Out

Apparently we are expecting another 15cm sometime during the week so hopefully I can build my snowman army then.

Referring back to Groundhog Day, I think that it is time that the official groundhog should no longer be, Punxsutawney Phil after that God awful prediction that Spring had arrived whilst Connecticut's, Chuckles VIII on her debut managed to give an accurate reading. Using my snowman army I will make it my mission to right this injustice.

WARNING: Footage contains strong language and nudity.

Doogie ticks off an item on his Bucket List.
I have a very awesome Bucket List filled with some ridiculous shenanigans, and #46 was to streak during a bad storm....it's safe to say the recent Nemo blizzard fit the description of "bad storm."

No comments:

Post a Comment

As this is viewable by anyone remotely interested, I politely ask that you keep your language PG13 and abuse at a minimum. Cheers