Introduction

Hi, my name is Phil North. I am currently a student at UCLan in Preston studying Creative Writing and Journalism and have been given the opportunity to study my second year at Central Connecticut State University. Here is where you will be able to find out about my experiences, opinions and just how well I'm adjusting to the US way of life.

Monday 4 February 2013

Super Bowl Sunday

Despite the New England Patriots getting knocked out of the playoffs early doors, the Super Bowl is still a big thing in Connecticut. God knows what the hype would be like if they were in the final. Traditionally the Super Bowl is celebrated in America by going to somebody's house armed with case after case of crap American beer and various chicken wings, plonking your arse in front of the huge T.V and yelling at the screen regarding wrong plays, dropped catches, and crap passes. 

The first problem - The Bet. When I made my pact for a dry February I didn't realise that the Super Bowl would be playing. I spent the evening drinking coke whilst my peers drank themselves into oblivion and my good old friend, Peer Pressure massaging my shoulders. 

The second problem - its American Football. The closest I can relate to is the F.A Cup Final, Champions League Final, or last day of the season should it be a close call. I know the basics of the sport, and despite trying my hardest to get into it, I can't help thinking that it's a poor mans rugby. The shear number of breaks in play and advertisements make it laughable. I know that America loves its commercial breaks but this is silly, especially when every advertisement has one celebrity or another endorsing it. Evan jokes that by having a celebrity it convinces us to buy it, and without adverts how would we know that we needed something and what to buy? 

Top 10 Adverts During The Game

Never having watched a Super Bowl, I was interested in the half time show and what it entailed. To be honest I was disappointed. Not being the biggest fan of Beyonce to begin with, I sat there waiting for her to sod off and see who else would be brought to the stage. Turns out that it was just Beyonce for the entirety. Did you know that the half time show was brought to you by Pepsi? Does that make you want to drink Pepsi? Thought not. 

With the Ravens looking to walk away with the game after a 107 yard touchdown seconds into the restart, things turned chaotic when the lights went out and the game had to be stopped for the next 40 minutes or so. This additional break did wonders for the 49ers as they dominated the rest of the game but couldn't edge into the lead. It was a good end to the game and certainly made it exciting for a novice to the sport. I don't think I'll take up watching it addictively though - the Super League has just kicked off for one.

Having survived an evening of people pushing beer bottles in my face, I live for another day of the bet despite calls of, "If you lose early you kinda win 'cos you get to drink all February." Good call, but no. That $30 is mine.  

Highlights

No comments:

Post a Comment

As this is viewable by anyone remotely interested, I politely ask that you keep your language PG13 and abuse at a minimum. Cheers