Introduction

Hi, my name is Phil North. I am currently a student at UCLan in Preston studying Creative Writing and Journalism and have been given the opportunity to study my second year at Central Connecticut State University. Here is where you will be able to find out about my experiences, opinions and just how well I'm adjusting to the US way of life.

Monday 11 March 2013

Broken Finger

So it seems that I have broken my first bone. Well, I've smashed my nose in plenty of times but that's cartilage; this is a real fracture that required an x-ray, so in my mind, my first broken bone.

A Slight Twist In The Wedding Ring Finger
Being from the Papa North school of health, I didn't go to see anyone about it for 3-4 weeks. I was brought up under the thinking that 'it'll be reight.' Giving myself the once over using a perfectly good method I learnt at a young age, all seemed in working order. This method is called the 'Ow' method. Basically you flick the area surrounding the problem point, and if it doesn't hurt to flick the problem point on the button. If you're not in excruciating pain, job's good.

This all started a day after the blizzard when Evan and I began to wrestle in the snow. At no point did anyone hear a crack, nor did I get a sudden rush of pain. Picking ourselves up after my defeat we sought out warm and shelter back at Carroll Hall. Sat in dry clothes I realised that my finger was a little bit swollen and turning black. I bent my finger to see if it moved, it did. I grabbed the tip and wiggled it, no pain. We concluded that it must just be bruised or at worst, a pulled tendon.

3 weeks later we're sat in the canteen when Sofia asked how my finger was. I showed it her as it's easier than speaking. It was still swollen, pointing in the wrong direction but the colour had gone. Taking the role as my mother, she ordered me to go to the health centre. Now if she could fill the role of my mum to perfection, I knew that there was no point in arguing; I didn't take any chances. The day after I went to the health centre and found that it is just as infuriating as home. See the nurse, she tells me to book an appointment with the doctor. See the doctor the next day, she tells me to book an appointment with the orthopedic doctor. All passing the book.

Not Normal
On the day seeing the orthopedic doctor I had all my over priced insurance documents in hand as I stood in this shoddy building with wallpaper peeling off the wall and decor that came straight out of the 70's. The girls behind the window seemed obsessed that I was English and like a wind up toy, had me say certain words as I filled out the paperwork.

Finally in a room with someone who can sort me out he first diagnosed me with mallet finger. Being a Cabinet Maker in a previous life I immediately picture some poor sod hitting his finger with a hammer, apparently this isn't what mallet finger is.

In medicinemallet finger, also baseball finger, dropped fingerdolphin finger and (more generally) extensor tendon injury, is an injury of the extensor digitorum tendon of the fingers at the distal interphalangeal joint (DIP). It results from hyperflexion of the extensor digitorum tendon, and usually occurs when a ball (such as a softballbasketball, or volleyball), while being caught, hits an outstretched finger and jams it - creating a ruptured or stretched extensor digitorum tendon.  

Thank God for Wikipedia

Home Made Splint
For routine he sent me for a couple of x-rays that later showed it was in fact a fracture. Great work Doc. Squeezing my finger at the point of the fracture harder than necessary he was convinced by my squirm that it was the right diagnosis. Giving me a piece of metal and tape I've to keep my finger in this make shift splint for a couple of weeks to try and straighten my finger before returning. 

It didn't take long for the novelty to wear off as I struggle to type and hold a knife and fork. When the Spanish girls next saw me, Alejandra took it upon herself to play the role as Mother as she put her hands on her hips, tilted her head a little to the side and said 'I told you so.' She even the the 'know it all' look in her eyes. Women are the same regardless of their nationality.

No comments:

Post a Comment

As this is viewable by anyone remotely interested, I politely ask that you keep your language PG13 and abuse at a minimum. Cheers