Introduction

Hi, my name is Phil North. I am currently a student at UCLan in Preston studying Creative Writing and Journalism and have been given the opportunity to study my second year at Central Connecticut State University. Here is where you will be able to find out about my experiences, opinions and just how well I'm adjusting to the US way of life.

Tuesday 19 March 2013

Preparing For Texas

Spring Break is upon us, they don't have the Easter Holidays here. The only thing that I struggle to understand is that the term 'Spring Break' implies that it is going to take part during Spring. Meanwhile the 'Easter Holidays' just imply that it is going to be held over Easter week.

As I write this, a mere four days before school closes, yet another snow storm has hit Connecticut. Apparently we are to get 6-8 inches over night and into tomorrow (Tuesday 19th). Things like snow on the ground does not imply that we are in Spring, if anything it tells me quite the opposite. As I walk across campus with snow and ice cold wind blowing in my face, this tells me that it is very much still winter despite the clocks going forward a week ago.

When I started to look for things to do for Spring Break I had images of American Teen films of huge outdoor parties by the beach, lake, or pool. When I started to ask the locals they simply turned and laughed at me. Connecticut doesn't allow anything like that in its state. They used to have pretty big parties at UCONN (University of Connecticut) but the police have called a halt to them due to the damage and destruction to the properties in the area. The next closest place is probably New Jersey but it is now becoming popular to travel to Florida for Spring Break.

Meanwhile, Evan and I have been watching 'King Of The Hill' and during a stupid conversation wondered if Alamo Beer (the beer Hank drinks) actually exists. A quick look online showed us that there is a brewery in San Antonio, Texas. I made a fleeting comment regarding how I'd love to travel to the south as I feel that it is more traditional America and I've heard about the Southern Hospitality etc. Evan looked at me and said very matter of fact that he has family in Dallas. A smile crossed our faces but nothing was mentioned further. As the months passed things were mentioned in passing and the idea slowly but surely became more and more real. The next thing we know, we've got a full route planned and a yearning to buy Cowboy Hats, Boots, and obscenely big Buckles. We set off on Thursday night with Hongi in tow sat in the back seat, travelling through:

Philadelphia, PA, Asheville, NC, Knoxville, TN, Nashville, TN, Huntsville, AL, Birmingham, AL, Montgomery, AL, Mobile, AL, New Orleans, LA, Baton Rouge, LA, Houston, TX, San Antonio, TX, Austin, TX, Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK, Little Rock, AR, Memphis, TN, Sikeston, MO, Evansville, IN, Louisville, KY, Lexington, KY, Cincinnati, OH, Columbus, OH, Pittsburgh, PA, Lancaster, PA.


However, if we see a sign saying Worlds Biggest/America's Biggest we may have to take a detour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

As this is viewable by anyone remotely interested, I politely ask that you keep your language PG13 and abuse at a minimum. Cheers