Introduction

Hi, my name is Phil North. I am currently a student at UCLan in Preston studying Creative Writing and Journalism and have been given the opportunity to study my second year at Central Connecticut State University. Here is where you will be able to find out about my experiences, opinions and just how well I'm adjusting to the US way of life.

Tuesday 7 May 2013

Back To Boston

With little time before my stint here is over, an invite back to Bentley University in Boston was just what the doctor ordered. However, without Hongi, Stef, or Erik, the duty fell upon Evan to join me for a weekend of fun and frolics.

Evan's Got A Balloon Too, Erik.
Arriving on the friday a little later than planned, we quickly dressed cowboy style and headed to the pub nearby so the girls could sing a little karaoke. Sooner you than me love. The problem was, not only were we in a big northern city dressed as cowboys, but the Boston Red Sox were playing Texas on the T.V. When I say playing, they were getting beat 7-0; not the best time to cowboy up. It also didn't help that everyone in the pub was small. Evan and I could stand at opposite ends of the pub and see each other clear as day, even without the hats. He even put a piece of straw in his mouth for the entirety of the trip. He's slowly becoming more and more redneck.

Arriving back to the room we noticed that Taylor, one of the girls, had recently celebrated her birthday and a stray balloon had avoided being popped. Now the last time Erik came here with Stef, he Skyped Evan and I drunk alerting us to the fact that he had found a balloon, yet couldn't pull it down into camera shot. His drunk grip too weak to pull it down long enough. We instantly sent pictures of this balloon off to Erik.

Much Better Community Atmosphere At Bentley
The day after we relaxed on campus, playing Kan Jam. This is a frisbee game where you have to land the frisbee in the opposite can either on your own or with help from your partner standing beside it. If you get the frisbee in the cut out slot you automatically win. Despite the love of frisbee at CCSU, I've never seen this game. At one time there was two games going on simultaneously. I never won a game.

What I loved about Bentley in comparison to CCSU was the atmosphere and community. On a weekend back at Central, the place is dead. Even on it's busiest of days the grass area, which is much bigger than that at Bentley, has half the people that I sat on the grass with here. They even have a public BBQ grill at the side for people to use if they bring their own charcoal. Everything just seemed so much better, all this despite everyone being in the middle of finals.

After a night in downtown Boston, the girls, Evan and I went to the cinema to watch Iron Man 3. The Cinema was packed, I've not seen one so full in a long time. There was also loads of legroom despite the lack of headrest, but as with every American event that I've gone to, everyone had food. Luckily the volume was loud enough to blank out the sound of crunching and slurping.

With the girls in need to revise before their finals the following day, Evan and I made our way home thanking them for their hospitality. Margaret and Meaghan are looking forward to a holiday in the Bahamas before starting in the world of work. After watching them burn to a crisp sat in the Boston sun, I already sympathise with them sat in the Bahamas. That's a lie, I'm jealous of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

As this is viewable by anyone remotely interested, I politely ask that you keep your language PG13 and abuse at a minimum. Cheers