Introduction

Hi, my name is Phil North. I am currently a student at UCLan in Preston studying Creative Writing and Journalism and have been given the opportunity to study my second year at Central Connecticut State University. Here is where you will be able to find out about my experiences, opinions and just how well I'm adjusting to the US way of life.

Tuesday 2 October 2012

The Big E

Every September in Massachusetts, an all American carnival comes to town. Now compared to the fair we get back in Clitheroe, this was more like a day at Blackpool Pleasure Beach, just with more food. A lot more food.

Rather than going with the University on the tiny little yellow school bus, Jon and Connor volunteered to drive Erik, Hongi, Stefanie, Sofia (Spanish), Cristina (Spanish), Evan (USA), and myself to this weird and wonderful land. The Big E seems to be a mix of pretty much everything, with companies setting up stalls to advertise their products such as whirlpools, furniture, pots and pans, art etc. As well as pubs, burger vans, rides, games, and history. It is pretty much everything thrown together into one giant pot and stirred up. I found some American Cider called Harpoon and began to sample that, despite the huge price tag, yet found novelty in the fact that it was my first drink here served in a pint glass, albeit advertised in ounces. 
Erik goes to town with the Hammer whilst I sneak
past to stand out of the way.
The food stalls reminded me very much of going to Old Trafford. I never laughed as hard in my life as when I last went to watch Blackburn Rovers against Manchester United. I must have heard every accent except Mancunian  Everyone was armed to the teeth with Man Utd shopping bags, and there was an entire street full of these American style burger vans. Just replace the US flags with Irish tri-colours. 

This is also where we met the good old stereotypical American. At the gate you could rent mobility scooters, the only difference here is that they aren't exactly aimed at the elderly. Everywhere you looked there was a massive American sat on one of these eating a dustbin lid full of nachos, crisps, chips, all covered in melted cheese. It was almost as if you paid for the tray and you could fill it as much as you want, as long as it stayed on the plate. I've never seen food piled so high. Erik and I wanted to take our picture with one of them, but we chickened out. 

Erik & I beat up Hongi
After Jon, Stefanie, and Sofia went on a couple of rides, Erik, Jon, and I competed in the hammer game. I don't know what else to call it, but it's that game where you get a big hammer, smack the base and try to hit the bell at the top. Lets just say, that I didn't exactly excel at this particular game, getting about a quarter up the pole. Erik won getting about two thirds of the way up, whilst Jon just beat myself. We did however win inflatable Boston Red Sox hammers. Oh the fun I had hitting people on the head. 

Now there is a very happy chappy
Whilst there I also ran into a furniture company showing off their wares. I must admit that I got quite excited and took a look around inspecting the work with a trained eye. I must admit that it wasn't that bad at a cheap price, although I could tell where corners had been cut. Still, for the price, it was bloody good stuff. I thought that my geekiness was at an all time high, but then I came across an old fashioned Cabinet Maker surrounded by old fashioned tools. I was like a kid in a sweet shop. I was happy as Larry looking at all the tools and once we got talking, I could have stayed there all day. Also, you could tell that he was a master craftsman because he had half a finger missing. Technically, until I lose a digit, I'm still an apprentice. 

You can take the geek out of the workshop, but never the workshop out of the geek
On the way home we decided to have tea at Hooters. Now personally, I thought that this would be more of a pub for lads to watch sport and ogle the barstaff. How surprised I was to find families eating with their children in more of a restaurant atmosphere. There was a lad who had just turned 16 who was surrounded by the staff as they sung Happy Birthday and covered him in 'I Love Hooters' stickers. I think I know where I'm going for my 25th. I did like how there were televisions everywhere playing sport, although I was surprised at how little of the Ryder Cup was shown. Only one TV in the corner showed it, and that kept flicking over to something else, whilst the others were all devoted to American Football. USA were winning at the time too. No-one has seemed to bat an eyelid, whilst when I go on Facebook, everyone back home is over the moon, even those who don't follow golf. Odd.
Erik & I with the Hooters Staff

This weekend Erik, Stefanie, Hongi, and myself are going to Washington DC for 3 days. We've checked the weather and once again, it looks like I'm topping up on the sunburn. 

P.S - Finally Steve Kean has done the honourable thing and walked, although I'm now worried as to who Venkys will get as a replacement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

As this is viewable by anyone remotely interested, I politely ask that you keep your language PG13 and abuse at a minimum. Cheers