Introduction

Hi, my name is Phil North. I am currently a student at UCLan in Preston studying Creative Writing and Journalism and have been given the opportunity to study my second year at Central Connecticut State University. Here is where you will be able to find out about my experiences, opinions and just how well I'm adjusting to the US way of life.

Monday 5 November 2012

America Doesn't Know What It's Missing

After my long hard search for Strongbow, I finally managed to find it. I also managed to find some American Ciders in the pubs of Boston and have even converted the girls at Bentley University to cider. The next search is for Banana Milkshake. I didn't even realise that this would become a problem as I walked into McDonald's and asked for a super-size big mac meal with 'nana milkshake. I was corrected that they no longer do super-size. Gutted - this was one of the reasons I came here, to see for myself the true size of American food. Settling with a large (burger the same size, chips a bit bigger) I asked for a 'nana milkshake. Looking forward to my bucket of nectar, you could imagine my expression when I get a small red mixture. When I report that I asked for 'nana milkshake they said that they don't do banana milkshake and that a banana and strawberry smoothie was the closest. Disgruntled I leave to eat my small meal.


At first I thought this must be a one off, so a few days later I tried again at another McDonald's but once again was handed this crappy red smoothie. Game on, I needed to find a 'nana milkshake. Scouring the shops I found that there is only vanilla, strawberry, or chocolate - no banana. I was so happy when I found Banana Colada. My face was that of a child at Christmas  but soon turned to the child who got socks when it tasted more of pineapples than banana; it was horrible.

I am having to settle for making my own in the canteen of real bananas, vanilla ice cream, and cream, but it's not really the same. Wish me luck in my search

P.S - In other news, I have converted Evan (coach) into eating Chip Butties. He now eats one most days after tea. Next I will introduce 'nana butties into this environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

As this is viewable by anyone remotely interested, I politely ask that you keep your language PG13 and abuse at a minimum. Cheers