Introduction

Hi, my name is Phil North. I am currently a student at UCLan in Preston studying Creative Writing and Journalism and have been given the opportunity to study my second year at Central Connecticut State University. Here is where you will be able to find out about my experiences, opinions and just how well I'm adjusting to the US way of life.

Monday 5 November 2012

Bananas & Chocolate Milk

Due to the lack of football in my weekly schedule, mixed with 'all you can eat' canteen for the majority of the day, things are turning a little bit more rotund. The thought of pre-season training when I return to England is already haunting me. I hate the Castle steps, they kill me as it is, let alone if I'm carrying extra weight. Jake Chadwick will lap me twice rather than the standard once.

To try and combat this, Evan has taken up the role of Coach for Jon and I. Jon used to be a thin, speedy footballer. Now, however, due to injury has the build more similar to a Tighthead Prop. Coach used to run track all through high school and the beginning of University, but after multiple injuries to his knee and foot, has called it a day. After nearing 185lbs, his heaviest of all time, he decided to get back into running, regardless of it being competitive or not. 

We started the 'trail run' through the park and woodlands on Saturday and got roughly 3 miles under our belts before having an hour or two break and hitting the gym. My dad and older sister will be so disgusted with me. However, during this run, Jon struggled immensely and left a trail of half digested pineapples along the route. 6 lots of breadcrumbs to be exact. Once in the gym, after making him sweat on the bike for 20 minutes, he was in his element showing Coach and I up on the weights as we struggled with the machines on the lower settings. 

After having Sunday off for various reasons (non of which were alcohol related) Coach woke us both up at 6.45am for a Monday morning run. As Coach and I increased our stride, we found that we had left Jon. Jogging on the spot for five minutes for him to catch up, we still found no sign of our Prop. Changing our route to try and find him, we made our way back to the beginning and did a lap of the pond. As we neared the end we saw our bulky friend re-appear with tears and drool dripping from his face. He had taken a wrong turn and ended up making 7 lots of breadcrumbs. 

Going straight for breakfast, Coach tells us to eat bananas and drink chocolate milk. The reason for this is potassium from the bananas for energy, and apparently the chocolate milk helps your muscles recover quickly. http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20100604/chocolate-milk-refuels-muscles-after-workout

To keep up to date on my weekly weigh-ins, go to 'To Be Fat Or Skinny'

No comments:

Post a Comment

As this is viewable by anyone remotely interested, I politely ask that you keep your language PG13 and abuse at a minimum. Cheers