Introduction

Hi, my name is Phil North. I am currently a student at UCLan in Preston studying Creative Writing and Journalism and have been given the opportunity to study my second year at Central Connecticut State University. Here is where you will be able to find out about my experiences, opinions and just how well I'm adjusting to the US way of life.

Saturday 1 June 2013

Adiós Españoles Niñas - Thank God For Google Translate

The 3 Amigos
After being kicked out of their dorms, the Spanish girls piled on a plane to the west coast (minus Claudia, she went home a couple of days later). As Evan and I sat out in the sun nursing hangovers from the night before, we watched in glee as Jon helped them carry load after load after load of stuff from their rooms to his car. All the while, they have a bus to catch to JFK within 30 minutes for their plane. I've never seen so much stuff come from identical little rooms as they eventually managed to pile themselves in the car leaving Evan, Claudia and I to watch the biggest pile of crap I've ever seen. It was like a gypsys dream find. That gypsy turned out to be Jon as his room is now full of cushions, pillows, bins, and blankets. It just shows that regardless of nationality, women cannot be ready on time, and have a tendency to collect cushions, along with other bits of crap.
What Did Claudia Do In A Past
Life To Deserve Jon?

Whilst Evan and I tackled the south, Sofia, Alejandra, and Cristina tackled the west coast. Starting in San Francisco, moving south to LA, down to Santa Monica, and across to Las Vegas before flying back to Connecticut for one day. I'm pretty sure that's where they went anyway.

On their one day back in the area before jetting off to Spain, we agreed to meet up. Meanwhile, John (not Jon, but John) and I went to into Hartford to watch the Champions League Final and enjoy a few ales. Strongbow for $4, can't argue. After the game and a couple of beers back at John's, we went to a pub to meet up with the Spanish Girls for one last drink. Here it comes, the big goodbye. I was already aware that Sofia had been crying for the last few weeks because she had to leave, and Alejandra had ordered me that I would have to say goodbye the Spanish way with a kiss on each cheek. Apparently just saying 'goodbye' isn't enough. Nor a simple hug. Cristina, up to this point, had been very strong and not shown much, until now that is. I've never seen so many tears, Evan and I would exchange the occasional confused, awkward glance. Alejandra wanted numerous hugs from everyone and I'll admit, I gave in and gave her a peck on each cheek. Sofia ordered us to stay in touch in between her sobs, and Cristina couldn't string two words together. Jon's going with them, they aren't that familiar with John, why are they that upset about leaving Evan and I? I put it down to tiredness after all the travelling. That or a culture thing. Who knows? We're nothing special at the end of the day.
Good Times

All in all, the Spanish Girls as we've affectionately named them (easier than saying 4 names) have been great fun throughout the year. It took them a little bit of time to understand mine and Evan's humour, but I think that they are all but there. I shall miss calling Alejandra an old witch, I'll miss Claudia appearing out of nowhere amongst a pile of blankets, I'll miss Sofia yelling at me, and I'll miss Cristina physically abusing me. I wish you all the best in your further studies, and Alejandra's eventual introduction to the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

As this is viewable by anyone remotely interested, I politely ask that you keep your language PG13 and abuse at a minimum. Cheers