Introduction

Hi, my name is Phil North. I am currently a student at UCLan in Preston studying Creative Writing and Journalism and have been given the opportunity to study my second year at Central Connecticut State University. Here is where you will be able to find out about my experiences, opinions and just how well I'm adjusting to the US way of life.

Saturday 1 June 2013

Graduation Party

For many of my friends here in America it is their final year studying their undergraduate courses. Now it seems rather normal for students' parents to throw them a great big party. Luckily I was invited to John's (not Aussie Jon) girlfriend's house to celebrate.
Lauren & John On Graduation Day

I've never been to one of these before, not even in England. When I last graduated I was the only one in the class and the ceremony was in Preston where every other student studied and knew each other, I studied in Burnley. After the ceremony my parents took me out for a pub lunch and that was that. Over and done with all before tea time.

When I arrived at Lauren's house, it was all prepared for a big arrival. There was a keg of beer positioned by the BBQ and multiple tables and chairs outside. Inside there was a dining room full of food that numerous members of the family had prepared and brought. I was told that her Grandmother's meatballs were the best around, and they weren't lying. I made it my mission to annoy John, first by wearing my cowboy boots, (he hates them, Lauren loves them) and then when trying to eat a typical America sub sandwich, it was too big to fit in my mouth so I took it apart and ate it with a knife and fork. The look on his face was comical.

Happy Couple - Lauren & My
Secret Brother Apparently
As the night grew, it became apparent how big the family was. When I asked if this was normal in America I was bombarded with examples to show that this wasn't even that big. I have four cousins, two of which I haven't seen since I was a kid as they live in the highlands of Scotland, one I see very rarely, and the other only when we're drunk. I have an aunt and uncle that live in The Philippines, and that's pretty much it. Even for the English, my family isn't very family orientated, so to see cousins, uncles, aunts, grandparents, coming from every angle was strange but nice and heartwarming I guess. As the night wore on the younger generations moved to the garage to play either beer pong or flip cup whilst the older generations talked in the back garden. I think I found myself in the garden more often due to that being the home of the keg of beer. Also I don't understand American drinking games, they seem to slow down your drinking rather than speed it up.

Now for some strange reason Lauren thinks that John and I look alike, and this was confirmed when I first turned up and it was assumed that I was his brother by her family. It was only when I spoke that confusion crossed her family's face's due to my accent. By the end of the night I was informed that I had made a good impression on all of her family and Lauren was asked why they haven't met me before now. My dad brought me up to be nice and polite to the mothers of the family. The fathers know that you're an idiot, but as long as the mother likes you, you're home safe and sound.

This is all despite losing my bearings in the middle of the night and walking into Lauren's parents bedroom and turning the light on in an attempt to find the toilet. Luckily it didn't wake them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

As this is viewable by anyone remotely interested, I politely ask that you keep your language PG13 and abuse at a minimum. Cheers