Introduction

Hi, my name is Phil North. I am currently a student at UCLan in Preston studying Creative Writing and Journalism and have been given the opportunity to study my second year at Central Connecticut State University. Here is where you will be able to find out about my experiences, opinions and just how well I'm adjusting to the US way of life.

Friday 14 June 2013

New England Revolution Vs New York Red Bulls

Having missed the 5-0 thrashing of LA Galaxy the previous week, Evan and I made it our mission to get to a game before I left. Luckily New England Revolution were playing New York Red Bulls in the 4th round of the US Open Cup. Despite the game being played at Harvard rather than the Gillette Stadium, we set off to Boston as tickets were only $10.
The Revs' Starting Line Up

When I arrived in America I decided to pick a team. Now I have always been taught to support your local side yet the distance between New York and the Rev's stadia was relatively similar. At this point my second lesson of life kicked in; support the underdog, don't be a glory supporter. Now looking at the previous season it was very noticeable how poor the Revs were as they sat second from bottom with a gulf of points between them and the team above them. Looks like I found my team.
You Can Just About See Evan & I Next To The Lady In
White. I Have My Hands To My Face
However this season there have been some vast improvements. The defence is looking solid with no last minute goals conceded like usual, and with some big wins against the better opposition, this looks like the Revs' season. As we made our way behind one of the goals with 'The Fort' (the name given to the core supporters after the Revolutionary forts used against the British) I noticed how the fans were passionate for their team. Well the few there were. They all arrived in shirts, flags, and banners, holding their scarves up similar to how they do in the Kop End at Anfield, just imagine a few dozen rather than a few thousand.

Foxy - Revs Original Stadium Was In
Foxbury
The songs throughout the game were carbon copies of songs I've heard around the grounds back home although they may have been adapted for American audiences. It was still funny to hear the little kids f-ing and blinding along with the older generation as they hurled abuse at the Red Bulls. My favourite original song was:

He's old, 
He's French,
He's sitting on the bench,
It's Henry,
It's Henry.

The Fort
Turns out he wasn't even on the bench. As with the English cup competitions I don't think either team played their first eleven with a few noticeable players missing from each side.

Some may think I shouldn't support the New England Revolution as it is very Anti-British. What with The Fort (previously explained), and their nickname is the Midnight Riders after the man who rode into town at midnight shouting "the British are coming" as we tried to launch a surprise attack. Personally I don't give a toss about the revolutionary war. I consider it a war between the British Settlers in America, and the British. Whoever won would be British at heart one way or another.

Cheers Of Celebration. Where Is Evan & His Cowboy Hat?
Once You Found Him, Where Am I?
The game was very good as goals flew in the back of the net in the favour of the Revs, with the Red Bulls pulling a couple back completely against the run of play. The goalkeeping was a little suspect, and I noticed that in the MLS players are reluctant to play the ball backwards and would sooner run at the crowd of defenders. Also there was only one slide tackle in the whole game and despite it being fair, The Fort were not happy.

Full Game - May Want To Fast Forward 20 Mins Or So, NYRB Wouldn't Come Out

For some reason I cannot find the highlights. I'll hopefully update this when I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

As this is viewable by anyone remotely interested, I politely ask that you keep your language PG13 and abuse at a minimum. Cheers