Introduction

Hi, my name is Phil North. I am currently a student at UCLan in Preston studying Creative Writing and Journalism and have been given the opportunity to study my second year at Central Connecticut State University. Here is where you will be able to find out about my experiences, opinions and just how well I'm adjusting to the US way of life.

Sunday 27 January 2013

New Year - New Football Season

At the back end of 2012, I had been persuaded by Jon to go and take part in CCSU's Soccer Club. I initially didn't want to go due to the poor standard I experienced during the inter-mural league, and expected the same here. Apparently the ex-captain of the College team (now graduated) is managing the club and Jon is his coach as they played together in the past, and they were in need of a defender who knows how to play the position. 
Only One Nutter In T-Shirt & Shorts

I turn up in trainers, shorts, and t-shirt to looks of shock and horror as everyone else was dressed as if they were about to go on an expedition to the arctic. The fact that I didn't have any moulded boots for the fake turf resulted in comments of, 'you won't be able to stand up in those, you'll be sliding everywhere.' 

Shooting Practice - Not A Specialty Of Mine
As per training back home, we started with some light stretches and a jog. By the time the jog was over with I was plenty warm, regretting that I wore long shorts rather than normal ones; meanwhile the rest of the team were still complaining about the cold. We then got into teams and did the old 'run to cone A, back, cone B, back, etc.' My team back home call me a poor asthmatic slug due to my slow speed and even worse acceleration. Here this was emphasised by the fact that I couldn't get any grip by wearing trainers. Then onto ball work, running and taking it around the cones, turning and doing the same on the return; again, not something I've ever been particularly good at. As a centre half, if I ever tried to go around someone back home the manager would have my guts for garters. Get rid of the damn thing, if it's in the opposition's half they can't score. The funny thing was, another of the coaches was watching me and asked Jon what this idiot is doing here? 

On to passing which I surprised myself with. Due to the surface the ball is not going to bobble over your foot, or onto the wrong part of your foot at the last minute. Therefore I was able to control and pass the ball a lot better than back home on the weird and wonderful pitches that I've been exposed to. I couldn't really say the same for everyone else. After completing numerous little possession games we moved onto a full sized 11v11 game. The first thing I noticed was that communication is minimal at best, and although this was my first session, it wasn't everyone else's. I also noticed that no one likes to play in midfield; when the opposition broke they walked straight through where our midfield should be. It wasn't long until they got a rollocking from the defence (me); didn't seem to work though. Heading is an art that America is yet to master, as is tackling which made me stand out as I ducked to head a ball which the opposition attempted to control with his foot. 
Why We Couldn't Use The Real Football Pitch Rather Than
American Football Is Beyond Me.

Since the New Year, the team has been cut down to a reasonable number and training has begun indoors playing 5-a-side. Again, no-one wants to chase the ball back or mark their man. No-one passes the ball backwards preferring to take on 2 men and lose it to the 3rd. Apparently that is better to do than a simple 5 yard pass, who knew? When in possession in front of my own goal, everyone will run up field (we're playing on a tennis court) and want me to masterfully knock the ball over and around everyone so that it can land precisely at my team's feet. If I could do that I don't think I'd be playing amateur football. 

With more and more practices on the horizon and the potential of playing other Universities in the near future, hopefully I can teach those here how to play the game like an Englishman! 

P.S. I was nicknamed Crouchy on the first day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

As this is viewable by anyone remotely interested, I politely ask that you keep your language PG13 and abuse at a minimum. Cheers